History

The Stony Plain Public Library started as a project of the United Church Young People's Club. It first opened in January of 1945 on 50th Street with 500 books on the shelves.
Over the years, it has been in a variety of locations; the hotel dining room, the Town Hall above the Fire Hall, the Community Centre, the former Recreation Office on 51st Avenue and ultimately in the present location in Forest Green Plaza. The Stony Plain Women's Institute sponsored the library when it came under the Provincial Library Act in 1948.

The Library Today

We now have a collection of over 55,000 items that includes over 3800 DVDs, 1300 CDs, 1450 audio-books, 680 large print books and 94 magazine and newspaper subscriptions. Over 200,000 items circulate each year, and over 100,000 people visit the library.
As a member of the Yellowhead Regional Library System and The Alberta Library, we have access to the holdings of over 300 libraries in Alberta and electronic resources including downloadable audiobooks and ebooks.